October 1996 by the amalgamation of the District Council of Berri and the District Council of Barmera.
Mayor and 8 Councillors.
50,845 ha or 508 sq. kms which incorporates the townships of Berri, Barmera, Cobdogla, Loveday, Monash, Glossop, Winkie and Overland Corner.
As per 2006 Census:
Approximately 70 persons - 38 in Administration/Library and Community Service areas and 32 in works, reserves, effluent and emergency areas.
- The Berri Barmera economy is built around horticulture and viticulture.
- We have been recognised as the Administrative Centre of Government by the State Government.
- Berri Estates (Constellation Wines) is located in the area of Glossop
- Berri is the retail centre of the Riverland which includes the Riverland Plaza shopping centre.
- In the years ahead, Council's main capital improvement areas will be Lake Bonney and the continuation of the work on the Berri Riverfront. This is apart from the normal roads, footpaths, reserves, Council buildings, etc.
- Also, Council will continue with its' youth iniatives and increase its' interest in social and community services.