The Berri Barmera Council is located in South Australia’s Riverland, approximately 220km north east of Adelaide on the beautiful Murray River.
The Council was formed in October 1996 with the amalgamation of the District Council of Berri and the District Council of Barmera.
The Berri Barmera Council occupies a total area of 50,845 ha or 508 sq. km and has a population of 10,808 (2016 Census).
The Council employs approximately 76 staff representing 65 FTE across a range of disciplines including infrastructure, planning and development, community development, finance, environmental, corporate governance.
The Council is responsible for the provision of a ranges of services including the maintenance and upkeep of 485km of roads, 54.214 Ha of irrigated land, 2 libraries, cemeteries, the State Heritage listed Bonney Theatre and a Visitor Information Centre.
Click on the link to RDA Live Work Play Invest to find out more about our region’s demographic profile.
POINTS OF INTEREST:
- The Berri Barmera economy is built around horticulture and viticulture.
- We have been recognised as the Administrative Centre of Government by the State Government.
- Berri Estates (Accolade Wines) is located in the area of Glossop
- Berri is the retail centre of the Riverland which includes the Riverland Central Plaza shopping centre.
- In the years ahead, Council's main capital improvement areas will be Lake Bonney and the continuation of the work on the Berri Riverfront. This is apart from the normal roads, footpaths, reserves, Council buildings, etc.