All Council’s offices will be closed to face to face contact effective from 5:00pm tonight (23 March 2020).
The Berri Barmera Council will implement a range of measures to its business operations, in response to the global pandemic relating to COVID-19, to ensure the safety and protection of our community, stakeholders and employees and to mitigate against spread of the virus.
Council is taking a proactive and responsible response to ensure continuity in the delivery of essential services to our community whilst navigating through the ever changing situation. Current updates and key health updates should be sourced from reputable Government websites Australian Government Department of Health
or SA Health
“We are taking the steps and measures required as we are advised by the relevant authorities, however keeping a focus on ensuring that our Community still receives the services it requires”, Mayor Hunt said.
“The Council, along with the Senior Management Team’s highest priority is helping to slow the spread of COVID-19 throughout our community and the best way to do this is to take the advice that we all are given and keep the communication channels open to you our Community”.
“I ask that you please take the advice that the Government provides as it changes, to help all of us through these unprecedented times”.
The decisions and changes made by Council are temporary and may be changed regularly. Council will continue to update you via our Facebook page and website.
* Council offices: The principal office will be closed to face to face contact, with frontline staff continuing to deliver services by telephone and email and other methods as required. Council’s webpage will continue to provide access to a range of services.
* Community Libraries: Council’s 2 libraries located in Berri and Barmera will be closed for face to face public contact. Berri Library due to being joint use with the Department for Education will remain open for the schooling component taking advice from the State Government in regards to closures.
* Berri Visitor Information Centre: will be closed to face to face contact, with frontline staff continuing to deliver services by telephone and email and other methods as required. Note: The Barmera Visitor Information Centre (operated by Barmera Central) is also closed to face to face contact, however they are still providing phone and email services.
* Council depots: Council’s 2 depots located in Berri and Barmera will be closed to the public.
* Berri Hayden Stoeckel Swimming Pool: Remains open at this time, with anticipated season closure at the end on March.
* Events: as per Government advice
* Council staff: I have committed to making flexible arrangements for our employees who may be required to take leave and are providing staff with the provisions needed to undertake work from home if/when required.
* Public toilets and facilities: Council will keep its public toilets open and continue to ensure constant cleaning is maintained.
* Formal monthly meetings: Council will hold its Ordinary Meeting tomorrow evening. Decisions about the April Ordinary meeting and other committee meetings will be considered at a later date.
Chief Executive Officer
For media enquiries: