Policies and By Laws
The Local Government Act 1999 enables Council to set their own Policies and Bylaws, which, after Council's initial approval are published in the SA Government Gazette before they can be officially enforced by authorised officers of Council.
Policies are guidelines to which Elected Members and Staff refer when making decisions on certain issues.
The Berri Barmera Council has developed a set of Policies which are continually updated to reflect changes in circumstances or if a new issue arises.
Some Policies are mandatory and are required under legislation to reflect this Council's application of various Acts of Parliament. These compulsory Policies are:
- Access to Meetings - Code of Practice (Public Consultation)
- Code of Conduct - Elected & Committee Members (Public Consultation)
- Code of Conduct for Employees
- Confidentiality Provisions - Code of Practice
- Procurement (Contracting and Tendering)
- Order Making Policy (Public Consultation)
- Public Consultation (Public Consultation)
- Review of Council Decisions (Including Handling Complaints)
In response to the outbreak of COVID-19, a major emergency was declared in South Australia on the 22 March 2020 by the Commissioner of Police, State Co-ordinator for the State of South Australia pursuant to section 14 of the Emergency Management Act 2004 (the Act). In response to the above provisions and current legislation in place for Local Government, several Notices have been made by Minister for Transport, Infrastructure and Local Government in exercise of his new emergency power under section 302B of the Local Government Act 1999. To reflect these changes, Council has had to review several policies;
- Informal Gatherings Policy
- Access to Council and Committee Meetings and Documents Code of Practice
- Code of Practice – Meeting Procedures
- Public Consultation and Community Engagement Policy
The variations to the policies are temporary and will cease to apply 28 days after all relevant State major emergency declarations end.
A full listing of Council's current Policies is provided below or you can search for a specific key word or title here -
|Delegations under the Development Act 1993 and Development Regulations 2008 Policy|
|Rates and Charges - Hardship Policy and Application Form|